Enjoying God's creation (people and places) ........ and fulfilling our desire to conquer and explore.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Alamosa through Westcliffe and 114

Today I headed back to Alamosa for the third and final time in two weeks, to move Aurda back to The Springs. So I decided to keep it fun and creative, riding some roads I had not been on yet. By the end of the day, I logged 340 miles of great riding.












The ride through the Wet Mountains to Westcliffe is a fun one with plenty of tight twisties!










Before dropping into Westcliffe, there is a stunning view of the Sangre de Cristos.










I finally found some really good eating in Westcliffe at the Chile Bear. I highly recommend the Green Chile Chicken Fried Steak!!!!











After leaving Westcliffe, I rode Hwy 69 to Texas Creek and headed west on Hwy 50. After filling up with gas in Salida, I continued west on 50, climbing over Monarch Pass. This is where the rain started and I rode through it on and off, all the way to Alamosa.











Turning off of Hwy 50, at Parlin (about 12 miles from Gunnison), I rode a little dirt to get over to Hwy 114. This is exactly why I purchase an Adventure, Dual-Sport Bike. No road left unexplored!














The canyon views and twisties on Hwy 114 are really, really good and highly recommended. Even better is the fact that I only met about 6 vehicles in about 60 miles.

North Pass is another high one, above 10,000 feet that I can add to the list of topping over.

No comments:

Post a Comment