Enjoying God's creation (people and places) ........ and fulfilling our desire to conquer and explore.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

2011 Big Dog Ride - Day 2

Our morning started off early, as Terry and I awoke at 5:30am (to the breaking dawn light).  We packed up our camp, left no trace and mounted the bikes for the ride in to BMW of Denver.

Arriving at the dealership (one of the founding sponsors of the event), I met old acquaintances from the past two years.  The bikes were diverse, including the Harley that has been rebuilt to be a dirt bike.

After the rider meeting, we departed on our bikes, riding out of Denver and heading straight for the Rampart Range.  This year the Group A and Group B rides would start out together.  The A Group is the rough and tough riders that want the most abuse.  Just the ticket for me.

We had to ride about 100 miles of dirt roads before we would reach any of the challenging stuff, but the scenery was outstanding.

This is where it got interesting.  After a stop in Bailey, CO for gas and a restroom stop, the groups got split up because of a premature departure.  I was one of the ones that were left behind.  At that point, it was a game of catching up.  Before I reached the A Group that was at the front, we came up to this sign and one of the B Group riders waiting on his bike.  I asked him....which way did the A Riders go.  He said....to Red Cone.  I turned and looked at Terry and asked, "Are you up for this?"  He said "yes" and off I led.  As far as we knew, we were chasing about 5-6 top riders and we would have to ride hard and fast to catch them before the riding challenge got too tough.

Well, this was the result of the first mile.  Terry gave up and turned around.... and in my hard-headedness, I picked up the bike and kept going.  I was now solo, chasing the lead group up over Red Cone.


It didn't get any easier.  Matter of fact, this was the hardest and toughest riding I have ever done in my life. 

Once arriving at the top of Red Cone, nearly 13,000 feet..... there were no riders in sight.  They must have beat me to the top and already headed down.  Fact of the matter was, I was riding on bad information and chasing ghosts.  The A Group actually took the Webster Pass route (much easier)..... and I ended up being the lone rider of Red Cone.

Once back at camp, I showered..... settled into my chair for a cold beer and began to cook the evening dinner.  I treated all the fellas to smoked, pulled pork sandwiches..... Audra's Cole Slaw and Costco cookies.   yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment