Enjoying God's creation (people and places) ........ and fulfilling our desire to conquer and explore.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Utah Canyon Lands, Day 1

For the past year, I have been dreaming of riding the Canyon Lands of South-east Utah. A year ago, I didn't think it would be a trip my boys could join me with, because of their experience and their bikes. Well, their riding skills have grown and we were able to lay our hands on two more Suzuki DL650's... the VStrom. I was thrilled they could join me, as it ended up being a wonderful, father - son experience and memory.

Once I started making plans, I invited other family members and friends. The only rider to join us was Terry, my riding friend from Amarillo. This would be a Memorial Weekend to remember.

Saturday ended up being right at 430 miles.


Our trip started on Saturday morning, May 29th. The boys and I are packed up and ready to 'head out'. Today would be the biggest day of riding for the boys.

Running the canyon road, highway 50, in between Canyon City and Salida.

Topping out on Monarch Pass.

Lunch a the Sonic Drive Inn.

Riding by Blue Mesa Reservior.

Riding Old Highway 90 in between Montrose and the Utah state line. Yeah.... they call this dirt road, Highway 90.

Arriving in Utah.

Meeting up with Terry in Monticello, UT.

Riding up to our camping spot, we stop to look over at the Moab area.

Riding about a mile of very rough double track, we arrive in a wonderful area with a little creek and opening to pitch our tents. For the boys and I, it ended up being a 440 mile day... a mix of dirt roads and tarmac, a grand total of 11 hours of riding. Terry stayed each night in his one-man tent. The boys and I (and some of our gear), crashed in our 4-man tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment